Since Barry and I are currently abstaining from red meat for Lent, I have been trying to find creative ways to jazz up chicken dinners. After a few nights in a row of boring chicken breasts, we were ready to try something totally different and more fresh and flavorful. One of our favorite cuisines is Asian, so I decided to take a stab at creating Egg Roll Bowls. I can’t take credit for the idea…I’ve seen all different types of these floating around the Internet in the past few months!
I’ve been trying to clean up my diet after a couple months of (a little too) relaxed eating while on maternity leave. 🙂 Can all of you Moms out there relate?! So I decided to make these bowls as healthy as possible by using a ton of veggies, and ground chicken instead of pork. You could easily sub in pork, turkey, or even ground beef, though, and it would be delicious!
QUICK AND HEALTHY EGG ROLL BOWL INGREDIENTS:
Bowls like these are very forgiving and extremely customizable (just like our Trader Joe’s Meal Hacks) so add whatever veggies or meat you’d like!
- Ground chicken: pork, turkey, or beef would also work well.
- Cabbage: a non-negotiable in an egg roll bowl! Alternately, you could use a bag of shredded coleslaw mix instead to minimize your prep-work.
- Veggies: I used onions, garlic, carrots, and mushrooms (because we are HUGE fans of mushrooms in this house). Feel free to add any others you’d like (finely chopped broccoli florets would be delicious!)
- Spices and sauces: ground ginger gives these bowls a nice kick of flavor, while soy sauce, rice vinegar, and sesame oil all give them an authentic Asian flavor.
- Toppings: diced scallions and crunchy chow mein noodles are our favorite toppers for these bowls. Chopped peanuts and sesame seeds would also be delicious!
HOW TO MAKE QUICK AND HEALTHY EGG ROLL BOWLS:
- Cook your meat: Add the meat to a sauté pan and break it up with a wooden spoon. When cooked through, drain and set aside.
- Prep your veggies: Finely shred the cabbage, chop the carrots, dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
- Sauté: cook the onion, mushrooms, garlic, and carrots till they soften. Add the cabbage, ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Cook until cabbage softens, then add the meat to the pan.
- Season: Add the ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Extras: Finish it off with toppings of your choice (diced scallions, chow mein noodles, chopped peanuts, sesame seeds) then dish up and serve!
Totally delicious, healthy, and super easy. Enjoy!
QUICK AND HEALTHY EGGROLL BOWLS
- 1 lb ground chicken You can sub pork, turkey, or beef)
- 3 medium carrots, shaved into ribbons, sliced thinly, or minced
- 1 small head of cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 oz. package sliced mushrooms (Be sure to thoroughly clean your mushrooms)
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 cup less sodium soy sauce
- 1.5 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- To finish: Diced scallions, chow mein noodles, chopped peanuts, and/or sesame seeds would all be delicious
- Cook ground chicken in a sauté pan, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. When cooked completely through (about 10 minutes), season with salt and pepper to taste, drain, and set aside.
- Dice the onion, slice the carrots, mince the garlic, and shred the cabbage. Add the onion, carrots, garlic, and the sliced mushrooms to the same pan you cooked your chicken in, and cook until soft (about 5-7 minutes).
- Add the shredded cabbage and cook until it softens and the whole mixture reduces in size (about 5-7 minutes). Add chicken back into pan.
- Add ground ginger, soy sauce, and rice vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste, then remove from heat.
- Stir in the sesame oil. Top with scallions, chow mein noodles, and any other toppings of your choice. Serve immediately, and enjoy!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? ♥️
We love to see what you’re cooking! Tag @thedowneshome on Instagram and use the hashtag #thedowneshome