After trying carrots and green beans as Chloe’s first solid foods (both were big hits!) we decided to give avocado baby food a shot. Funnily enough, Barry and I both HATE avocados (unlike the rest of the world, it seems 😉 ) but I just had a feeling Chloe would love them.
The best place near us for avocados is Aldi – we can usually find them there for just $0.57 each! What a steal! You could just mash up an avocado and give it to your baby if he/she doesn’t mind the extra texture, but for our first time feeding it to Chloe, we wanted to puree it. Just as it was when making homemade carrot baby food and homemade green bean baby food, all you need are the fruit or vegetable of choice (in this case – avocados!), a blender or food processor, and an ice cube tray. Let’s make baby food!
AVOCADO BABY FOOD INGREDIENTS
Stage 1 purees are super simple, and for fruits, all you ever need are the actual fruit, plus some water.
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO BABY FOOD
- Prepare your avocados: Take a knife and run it in a single line around the avocado, then twist to separate the halves.
- Remove pit and flesh: Take your knife and carefully strike the pit with it. Once the knife is stuck into the pit, twist it, lift the knife and pull the pit away from the avocado flesh. Then use a spoon to scrape the flesh away from the avocado skin.
- Blend: Add the avocado flesh into your blender or food processor, and blend, adding water as needed to move things along.
- Freeze: Spoon mixture into ice cube trays, freeze, then bag.
NOTES & RECOMMENDATIONS
- Blender: any good blender or food processor should work well, but obviously the stronger it is, the more likely you are to have a smooth and creamy result for your baby. I have a Vitamix (this one, if you’re interested!) that my parents gifted us a few years ago (thanks, Mom and Dad! 🙂 ) and it is the absolute best. After having some sub-par blenders over the years, this one is most definitely worth the extra money (or, if you can get someone to gift it to you…even better! 😉 ) It makes all of the purees so, so smooth in such a short amount of time.
- Silicone ice cube tray: This makes it easy to portion the baby food (my tray holds one rounded tablespoon per cube) and the fact that it’s silicone makes it super easy to pop the frozen cubes out. I can’t find my exact tray online, but these are similar (and they even have lids, which I wish mine had!)
- Baby spoons: These are unrelated to the making of the baby food, but instead, related to the eating of it. 🙂 We just wanted to recommend these spoons, since we love them so much! The spoon turns white if the food is too hot for baby. They take all of the guesswork out of everything – so easy!
Once your cubes are frozen, pop them out of the ice cube tray, transfer them into a storage bag, and pop the whole thing in the freezer. When your baby is ready to eat, take out a cube or two, microwave in ten-second increments until thawed, and enjoy!
HOMEMADE AVOCADO BABY FOOD
- 5 avocados
- Filtered water
- Cut avocados open and remove pit. Scoop out flesh, and add it to your blender or food processor.
- Add some filtered water, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray. Smooth the top of each cube with a rubber spatula, then freeze.
- Once fully frozen, remove avocado puree cubes from the ice cube tray and transfer to a storage bag, then return to the freezer. Use as needed.
This post contains affiliate link(s).
If you’re looking for other homemade baby food recipes, check out our:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? ♥️
We love to see what you’re cooking! Tag @thedowneshome on Instagram and use the hashtag #thedowneshome