We got the go-ahead from Chloe’s pediatrician to start trying solids, and we’ve been having lots of fun with it! In the past few months, so many people asked me if we’d buy baby food and make our own. I’m not sure what we’ll do as she gets older, but for right now when trying simple solids (vegetables and fruits), I plan on making her food at home. Not only is it inexpensive, but it’s also super easy and you have total control over what’s going into your baby’s food. Our first choice for solids was homemade carrot baby food.
We decided to start with carrots because they’re a sweeter veggie, and we figured they would be a good first food for Chloe to try. After carrots, we’d then move onto a few other veggies, and then fruits. If you’re wondering if you can do this at home too, you totally can! All you need are the vegetable of choice, a blender or food processor, a pan to steam your veggies in, and an ice cube tray. Let’s make baby food!
CARROT BABY FOOD INGREDIENTS
Making carrot baby food at home couldn’t be simpler – all you need are carrots! I recommend organic carrots. Be sure to wash and peel them, chop off the ends, and cut into small pieces.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT BABY FOOD
- Prepare your carrots: Wash your carrots, then peel them and cut off the ends. Cut them into small slices.
- Get your steamer ready: While you’re preparing the carrots, set the basket of a steamer over a pot of water and bring to a boil.
- Add carrots: When the water is boiling, add the carrot slices to the steamer basket, and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Reserve water and drain: reserve some of the cooking water and set aside, then drain the carrots.
- Blend: Add the carrot slices to your blender or food processor, and blend, adding water as needed to move things along.
- Freeze: Spoon mixture into ice cube trays, freeze, then bag.
NOTES & RECOMMENDATIONS
- Blender: any good blender or food processor should work well, but obviously the stronger it is, the more likely you are to have a smooth and creamy result for your baby. I have a Vitamix (this one, if you’re interested!) that my parents gifted us a few years ago (thanks, Mom and Dad! 🙂 ) and it is the absolute best. After having some sub-par blenders over the years, this one is most definitely worth the extra money (or, if you can get someone to gift it to you…even better! 😉 ) It makes all of the purees so, so smooth in such a short amount of time.
- Silicone ice cube tray: This makes it easy to portion the baby food (my tray holds one rounded tablespoon per cube) and the fact that it’s silicone makes it super easy to pop the frozen cubes out. I can’t find my exact tray online, but these are similar (and they even have lids, which I wish mine had!)
- Baby spoons: These are unrelated to the making of the baby food, but instead, related to the eating of it. 🙂 We just wanted to recommend these spoons, since we love them so much! The spoon turns white if the food is too hot for baby. They take all of the guesswork out of everything – so easy!
Once your cubes are frozen, pop them out of the ice cube tray, transfer them into a storage bag, and pop the whole thing in the freezer. When your baby is ready to eat, take out a cube or two, microwave in ten-second increments until thawed, and enjoy!
HOMEMADE AVOCADO BABY FOOD
- 5 avocados
- Filtered water
- Cut avocados open and remove pit. Scoop out flesh, and add it to your blender or food processor.
- Add some filtered water, and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Using a tablespoon, spoon the mixture into an ice cube tray. Smooth the top of each cube with a rubber spatula, then freeze.
- Once fully frozen, remove avocado puree cubes from the ice cube tray and transfer to a storage bag, then return to the freezer. Use as needed.
This post contains affiliate link(s).
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? ♥️
We love to see what you’re cooking! Tag @thedowneshome on Instagram and use the hashtag #thedowneshome