This recipe for shredded chicken cooked in the Instant Pot is the best way to cook chicken breasts – they come out juicy, perfectly cooked, tender, and flavorful…every single time!
You’ve heard me sing praises for the Instant Pot before…and I’m here to do the same today. 🙂 Guys, the one thing that has always intimidated me when it comes to cooking is…chicken. Steak? Easy! Burgers? No problem! Homemade pizza? You got it! But…chicken. Oh, chicken. I have always been so afraid of undercooking it, which caused me to often overcook it…which then left me with gummy, tough chicken. Not fun. Once I got my Instant Pot and realized that it takes all the guesswork out for me (particularly with meats), I started cooking and enjoying chicken way more often. Over the past year, I played around with my recipe and finally landed the perfect, foolproof way to cook chicken. It’s super versatile, and can be enjoyed on its own, or added to your favorite chicken dish. Let’s make some Instant Pot shredded chicken breasts!
INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN INGREDIENTS
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts are what I always use.
- Liquid: If you have chicken broth, it adds great flavor. If not, water works just as well!
- Seasonings: Salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried Italian Seasoning.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT SHREDDED CHICKEN
- Prepare chicken (if necessary): Trim any excess fat off of the chicken breasts.
- Add ingredients to the Instant Pot: Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Pour in broth or water, then sprinkle the seasonings over the top.
- Cook: Set Instant Pot to Manual (high pressure) and cook for 10 minutes. Do a quick pressure release.
- Shred: Shred chicken with two forks, or this amazing tool. I also highly recommend using a hand mixer or stand mixer to shred your chicken – it’s so easy and quick! (Alternately, you can also cut the chicken into pieces, depending on how you’ll be using it. Or, feel free to leave it whole.) Toss the chicken in the juices in the bowl of the Instant Pot once more to ensure all of the yummy broth is infused into the chicken.
- Serve & enjoy!
NOTES & SUGGESTIONS
- Storage: Shredded chicken will keep well in the fridge (stored in an air-tight container) for 3-4 days. Freeze it in an air-tight container for up to 4 months.
- Spice variations: Feel free to use any other spices you’d like (some other good options would be bay leaves, paprika, chili powder for some kick…the sky’s the limit :)).
- Ingredient variations: When the chicken is finished cooking and you’ve shredded it (and drained off the excess liquid), stir in any of the following:
- A can of Rotel (diced tomatoes and green chilies)
- A can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- Your favorite salsa
- Frozen chicken: If you’re using frozen chicken breasts instead of thawed, add 2 minutes to the cooking time.
If you haven’t been convinced already…get yourself an Instant Pot and make some shredded chicken to stock your freezer (or fridge with). Let us know if you try it!
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Breast
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any excess fat (you can use up to 4 breasts total with the rest of the ingredient amounts kept the same!)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1/2 teasooon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- Add the chicken breasts to the bowl of your Instant Pot (be sure the chicken is arranged in a single layer.) Pour the broth (or water, if using instead) over the top of the breasts.
- Sprinkle the seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian Seasoning) over the top of the chicken.
- Cover the Instant Pot and set the valve to "Sealing." Cook on Manual (high pressure) for 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is finished cooking, do a quick release of the pressure (cover the valve with a dishtowel or cloth to prevent splatter, if desired).
- Carefully remove the lid and shred the chicken with two forks. Toss it in the liquid in the Instant Pot to ensure it's nice and juicy.
- Serve and enjoy (or alternately, use for whatever recipe you need shredded chicken for!)
This post contains affiliate link(s).
If you’re looking for more great Instant Pot recipes, try our:
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? ♥️
We love to see what you’re cooking! Tag @thedowneshome on Instagram and use the hashtag #thedowneshome