Sheet pan sausage, potatoes, and peppers is one of our favorite quick and healthy, one-pan meals. It’s perfect for busy weeknights or when you need dinner on the table quickly, with barely any prep!
Our love affair with sheet pan meals has been going strong for months now. There’s something so satisfying about adding a few simple, healthy ingredients to a sheet pan, tossing them with some olive oil and herbs, and baking until they’re hot and flavorful. Sheet pan meals have transformed the way I cook dinner during the week – I used to dread coming home from work and having to spend much of my evening cooking. Especially now with a toddler in the mix, I need meals on the table fast so we can eat together as a family before Chloe goes to bed at 7 o’clock. Our current favorite is this beautiful and healthy meal – sheet pan sausage, potatoes, and peppers. <3
What we love most about this sheet pan dinner is that it’s totally customizable based on your tastes and whatever ingredients you have on hand. We prefer chicken sausage because Barry does not eat pork. We’ve found it difficult to find a variety of chicken sausage that is pork-free – many non-pork sausages still use a pork casing! Amylu is one of the only brands we’ve been able to find that is truly pork free. We buy it in bulk at Costco, but you can order it online here. Our favorite flavor is the Garlic Asiago, because the sausage is stuffed with cheese, and as it cooks, the cheese oozes out and adds another layer of creamy deliciousness. 🙂 SO good! (Not sponsored – we just love these and want you to try them, too :))
SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, POTATOES AND PEPPERS INGREDIENTS
- Sausage: Buy your favorite pre-cooked sausage to save yourself some time. If this is not an option, be sure to factor in additional prep time for you to slice and sauté your sausages.
- Potatoes: Our favorite combination for this dish is half white or yellow potatoes, and half sweet potatoes. However, feel free to use whatever kind of potatoes you have on hand.
- Onions + garlic: We use one white onion and one red onion for a nice mix of sharp and sweet flavors, however, use whichever kind you happen to have. This dish is adaptable. 🙂 Garlic is also a must in this dish – I am a huge fan of the pre-minced garlic they sell in the big jars, in order to save even more prep time.
- Bell peppers: These make this dish look colorful and add a nice sweetness.
- Olive oil + herbs: Olive oil give this dish amazing flavor, and helps the veggies get nice and golden brown. Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper round out the seasonings.
- Toppings: If you happen to have them on hand, fresh parsley and a good sprinkle of grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese finish this meal nicely. We had some fresh spinach that was on its way out, so we added it when we made it this time. Delicious!
HOW TO MAKE SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, POTATOES, AND PEPPERS
- Prepare your sheet pan: Cover a large baking sheet with foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prep your sausage and veggies: Slice sausages and set aside. Wash and dry the potatoes and bell peppers. Cut them into small pieces (about 1/2 inch each) and ensure that all of them are roughly the same size.
- Chop onions: Peel and quarter the onions.
- Combine: Add the potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and the minced garlic cloves to a large bowl. Toss with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper (to taste) and then pour onto the sheet pan.
- Cook: Cook in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are starting to soften. Add the sliced sausages, toss, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until sausages are heated through.
- Serve: Top with parley and grated cheese, serve and enjoy!
NOTES, VARIATIONS, AND SUGGESTIONS
- As mentioned above, feel free to use your favorite sausage in this recipe – traditional pork, chicken sausage, or turkey sausage all work perfectly. Or, omit the sausage completely and just enjoy the delicious veggies. 🙂
- If you’re looking for low-carb options for this dish, swap out the potatoes for rutabagas or turnips.
- Add or substitute other vegetables in this dish to switch it up – spinach, kale, mushrooms, cauliflower, sliced carrots, and broccoli would all work well.
We hope love this easy, healthy meal as much as we do!
SHEET PAN SAUSAGE, POTATOES, AND PEPPERS
- 1 package sausage links (chicken, Italian, and turkey all work nicely) pre-cooked and sliced into 1/2 inch slices. We use a 1.25 lb pack
- 4 medium potatoes cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium to large onions cut into quarters, with layers separated
- 2 bell peppers seeds removed and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP Italian seasoning or more, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for topping, if desired
- Grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cover a large baking sheet with foil, and spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Slice sausage links into 1/2 inch slices and set aside. Wash and dry the potatoes and bell peppers. Cut them into 1/2 inch pieces and ensure that all of them are roughly the same size.
- Peel the onions cut them into quarters, then separate the layers.
- Add the potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and the minced garlic cloves to a large bowl. Toss evenly with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper (to taste) and then pour onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Cook in a preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until potatoes are starting to soften. Add the sliced sausages, toss, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until sausages are heated through.
- Top with parley and grated cheese (if desired), serve and enjoy!
If you need to get dinner on the table fast, check out more of our other quick meal ideas!
Are you addicted to sheet pan meals like we are? What are your favorites? We’d love to hear!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? ♥️
We love to see what you’re cooking! Tag @thedowneshome on Instagram and use the hashtag #thedowneshome