As much as I love to cook elaborate meals and try new things in the kitchen, I equally enjoy having recipes up my sleeve that are delicious, simple, and FAST (25-minute Egg Roll Bowls, anyone?) With a newborn at home, I’ve never appreciated quick meals more…that way, I have even more time for baby snuggles 🙂 Enter: Trader Joe’s Meal Hacks. Specifically, this five-ingredient Trader Joe’s ravioli.
Before we dive in, let’s discuss how we are HUGE fans of Trader Joe’s in our home. Each time we go (after wandering the aisles and scoping out all of the new products for what feels like hours) I challenge myself to dream up a new “dinner hack” that meets the following criteria: five ingredients or less, inexpensive, relatively healthy, and quick.
Our favorite hack meal to date has been this delicious dish – Five-Ingredient Ravioli, complete with chicken sausage, roasted peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, and kale.
FIVE-INGREDIENT TRADER JOE’S RAVIOLI INGREDIENTS:
The ingredient list for this recipe is super-flexible, so feel free to substitute any variations of the following ingredients to suit your taste. We like to use:
- Chicken sausage: any flavor will do – we used sun-dried tomato
- Ravioli: again, any type works – our favorites are the Brussels Sprouts & Caramelized Onion and the Roasted Cauliflower & Cheese varieties
- Fire-roasted yellow and red peppers
- Sun-dried tomatoes
HOW TO MAKE FIVE-INGREDIENT TRADER JOE’S RAVIOLI:
Dinner hacks are intended to be extremely easy, so these instructions are pretty simple. However, for anyone that may be new to cooking or less-than-confident in the kitchen, here you go:
- Cook your ravioli: Bring some heavily salted water to a boil, then add the ravioli.
- Cook the sausage: Slice up your chicken sausages, then cook them in a sauté pan until golden brown.
- Add the rest of your ingredients: Pour in the jar of peppers (with the liquid), chopped sun dried tomatoes, and kale. Stir well, then let simmer until the kale softens.
- Add ravioli: Drain the ravioli when it’s al dente, then add it to the sausage mixture. Add some of the starchy pasta water if you want it a bit more saucy.
- Extras: Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Feel free to top with grated parmesan or pecorino (or fresh mozzarella) if you’d like, then dish up and serve!
Totally easy, affordable, comforting, and fast! Enjoy!
TRADER JOE’S RAVIOLI – 5 INGREDIENT MEAL HACK
- 1 8 oz package Trader Joe’s Ravioli (any type)
- 1 package Trader Joe’s chicken sausage (any type)
- 1 8.4 oz jar Trader Joe’s fire roasted yellow & red peppers, chopped
- 1 8.5 oz jar Trader Joe’s julienne sliced sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 4 oz kale, chopped, tough stems removed (Feel free to add more or less – I used what I had on hand!)
- Cook ravioli according to package directions in boiling, heavily-salted water.
- While the ravioli is cooking, spray a medium sauté pan with nonstick spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add the sausage slices and cook until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the chopped peppers (with the juice from the jar), sun-dried tomatoes, and kale to the sauté pan. Stir, and let simmer until the kale softens.
- Drain the ravioli once they’re cooked, and reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water.
- Add the sausage and ravioli to the sausage mixture and stir gently. Add some of the reserved pasta water if you want it more saucy (optional). Serve immediately.