CACIO E PEPE
This comforting pasta dish requires only a handful of ingredients & a few minutes, yet is SO flavorful and impressive. Enjoy as either a main or side dish!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 3 servings
- 8 ounces long pasta (such as Pappardelle, Bucatini, Linguine, or Spaghetti)
- 1.5 cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1.5-2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper (To taste. We use 2 teaspoons of coarse ground black pepper, but would recommend 1.5 teaspoons unless you like it ultra peppery.)
- 3 Tablespoons butter (I usually use salted. If using unsalted butter, be sure to season the final dish with salt, to taste).
- 1.5 cups pasta water (reserved from the pot your cook your pasta in)
Cook your pasta in a pot of boiling, heavily-salted water. Note: Use less water than you’d normally use to cook the pasta in, as you want the water to get nice and starchy.
Add the black pepper to a large sauté pan over medium heat. Toast until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes). Add the butter, and stir until melted and combined with the pepper. Add about 1/2 cup of the starchy pasta water, whisk till combined, and remove the pan from the heat.
Whisk the cheese into the butter mixture until fully combined.
When your pasta is cooked, drain it, and save 1 cup more of the pasta water.
Add about half of your pasta to the cheese mixture, mixing well to ensure that the pasta gets evenly coated. Add the rest of the pasta, along with some of the reserved pasta water (if needed) to make it saucy enough for your liking.
Top with more freshly cracked black pepper and pecorino, and serve warm.